This webinar series will demonstrate how to hold fidelity to EMDR while
integrating play therapy. A robust application of key strategies will be
demonstrated through the Virtual Sandtray App (VSA), which supports the
imagery, regulatory techniques, and cognitions necessary for children to feel safe enough to reprocess traumatogenic materials through the AIP model, both virtually and in person.
Participants will be able to:
- Summarize the 8 phases of the standard EMDR therapy protocol and
explain the Adaptive Information Processing (AIP) model in relation to
working with children and adolescents.
- Describe how the Therapeutic Powers of Play graphic can be used to inform
treatment and write clinical notes and identify at least one core agent of
change within the Therapeutic Powers of Play.
- Specify at least two features of the Virtual Sandtray App that can be
beneficial to EMDR treatment.
- Illustrate how the preparation (PHASE 2) may be performed with children
and adolescents through the development of a calm/safe/happy place
virtual sandtray, the creation of a container within the virtual sandtray app
(VSA), and by engaging in resource development through the light stream technique within the VSA.
- Show how the use of painting the sand in the VSA can be used within the
Light Stream Technique.
- Demonstrate how to conduct an assessment (PHASE 3) by utilizing the VSA
to elicit developmentally phrased positive (PC) and negative (NC)
cognitions, to ascertain the validity of the PC (VOC), to determine the
Subjective Unit of Distress (SUDS), and to identify targets.
- Simulate changes of the PC, NC, SUDS, and VOC by using specific features
within the VSA (i.e., shrinking, enlarging, floating, exploding, etc.).
- Explore various play-based methods of Dual Awareness Stimulation (bilateral
stimulation ~ BLS) to reduce the client’s level of disturbance for
identified targets (PHASE 4) through the use of the VSA to support
desensitization and reprocessing of traumatogenic material with children
and adolescents clients.
- Apply features of the VSA (i.e., rotation of the tray, changing filters,
zooming in/out, etc.) to desensitize and process the selected target to work
towards an adaptive state.